top of page

Does changing my name affect my taxes?

When someone legally changes their name, there are tax consequences they need to know about, especially at tax time. People change their names for several reasons:

  • Taking their spouse’s last name after a marriage

  • Hyphenating their last name with their spouse’s after getting married

  • Going back to their former name after a divorce

  • Giving an adopted child the last name of their new family


​​If you don't report a name change - If a name on a your tax return doesn’t match SSA records, it can delay the IRS processing of that return. In that case, if the you are due a refund, it will take longer for them to get your money.

Reporting change to SSA - You should notify the Social Security Administration of a name change ASAP. When a you file your taxes, the IRS checks SSA records to ensure names and social security numbers on the forms match.


Get a new Social Security card - After a name change, you should file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. The form is available on or by calling 800-772-1213. Your new Social Security card will reflect the name change.

Name change due to adoption - In the case of an adoption, if the child has a Social Security Number, the you should be sure to inform the SSA of a name change. If the child does not have a Social Security Number, the you may use an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number on your tax return. An ATIN is a temporary number. Taxpayers can apply for an ATIN by filing with the IRS Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions.

bottom of page